As part of Sarah Goldsmith (Schools’ Music Curriculum Support Officer’s) research for the Teacher’s Network, she has been exploring, investigating and generally hunting for resources that will be useful to send home for pupils to keep them engaged with musical learning.
In addition to the resources mentioned in In-Tune, our fortnightly e-newsletter, here are some more to share.
Virtual Instruments and online activities (click on the header for more information)
- Maths and music – Free teaching resources for Years 4 to 6. Composer Liam Taylor-West has collaborated with University of Bristol mathematicians to produce a short maths + music course for primary schools. The three-part video series the maths of repeating and non-repeating sequences using simple musical examples and exercises.
- Elephants in custard – new music and story film for children aged 5 – 7 based on the book of the same name. New music and story film created by the London Philharmonic’s Education & Community department.
- Earworms from Saffron Sounds – online resources for primary schools created by world-class artist and presented by Saffron Hall.
- Virtual boomwhackers – KS1-2
- Chrome experiments – all KS. Simple online experiments which can form the basis of some brilliant musical learning. I keep finding more and more I can do with this as I play with it. Good link to computing too.
- Virtual Looping app – KS2 up
- Virtual instruments – KS2 up
- Looping game – KS2 up
- Blob Opera – KS1-2
Making music at home – not online activities
- Ideas for musical challenges for families and groups – KS1 – 2 families
- BBC resources – All KS
- Musical kitchen ideas – EYFS, KS1
- Beat Goes On – KS2 and up
- Composing ideas for home learning – Upper KS2, KS3
- Interactive songs for younger children – EYFS, KS1
- Little Kids Rock – KS2 upwards
- Comparing musical inventions from found items – (all KS)
- Musication – KS1 & 2 Play along videos. Great for percussion but would work for any instruments.
- Rob’s Kitchen Music
- Folk Songs in the Model Music Curriculum – 24 English folk songs included in the Model Music Curriculum
- Song Source – new song resource tool kit of 200+ songs to suit all Primary school aged children from Isaac Newton to Queen Victoria to Plastic Pollution
- Primary –
- National Youth Choirs of Scotland’s work on Kodaly technique – All KS
- Makaton songs – EYFS, KS1 and SEND focus
- Songs and singing activities
Classical music and creative activities
- Lots of ideas and lesson plans about composers and the orchestra eg Classics for Kids, Dallas Symphony
- Classical 100 -fully searchable for 100 classical music pieces
- Home of Create and Learn, Create and Sing etc
Miscellaneous: Lists and where to find more