First Access Training Course: 18th – 21st July 2017
In July 2016 Essex ran an intensive four-day First Access training course for our tutors, which proved a great success for our service; we are running the course again in July 2017.
We would like to offer a limited number of places to other Hubs in the region.
Timing and location
– 9.30am – 4pm Tuesday 18th – Friday 21st July 2017
– Chelmsford Civic Centre, Fairfield Road, Chelmsford CM1 1JG
– 2 minutes’ walk from Chelmsford station, multiple car parks nearby.
Content and timetable
We are finalising this year’s timetable but the content and presenters will be very similar to 2016’s training; many of the presenters are long-term Hub partners here in Essex.
The course will cover:
- Practical approaches to dealing with a class with a full set of instruments.
- Classroom and behaviour management.
- How to engage teachers and support staff.
- How to use digital resources to support delivery.
- How to incorporate singing, body percussion and vocals into sessions.
- Warm-ups and warm downs.
- Choosing the correct material and ‘pitching it’ correctly.
- Planning for different abilities and learning styles.
- Creating effective programmes of work.
- Preparing for performances.
- Planning for and measuring progression.
- How to engage all participants.
- What can be learnt from the Musical Futures approach to group instrumental learning.
- Disability awareness.
- Running First Access in a SEND-setting.
As part of the course last year, all tutors submitted a portfolio based on their learning from the course and how they would utilise it going forwards. Although challenging, this greatly strengthened the legacy of the course and also helped our long-term goal of encouraging our tutors to become genuine Continuing Professional Learners.
Tutors should be advised that although they will work on this throughout the four-day course, completion of the portfolio will take at least another full day.
For our tutors, those who passed the portfolio assessment (conducted by Essex Music Service officers and moderated by Trinity College London) became First Access Specialised Tutors and were entitled to a higher rate of pay. Obviously this may not be appropriate for your service; however as part of the course we are suggesting that all participants submit a portfolio. Anyone you send will have their portfolio assessed by the Essex team (with comments added), but it can be up to you what you do with this portfolio afterwards.
More information about the portfolio process from last year is above (FAST training overview) as well as an anonymous portfolio submission.
Cost and availability
– We are offering places to other Hubs for £250 per delegate for the whole course and portfolio assessment. This includes catering and is on a cost-recovery basis, we will not make any profit from this.
– Obviously this does not include any travel, or accommodation costs which will needed to be arranged by individual services.
– We have 40 spaces available for tutors from other Hubs on a first come first basis.
– Obviously how you pay tutors to attend is up to you – for information we paid tutors £75 per day to attend and an additional £75 for a submitted portfolio.
What to do if interested
– Email Charly Richardson, stating how many spaces you would like to reserve.
– Closer to the time we will need delegate info (name, instrument, dietary requirements).
– We will invoice you for the total cost in the summer term.
Any Heads of Service or managers would of course be welcome to drop in to the course, free of charge.