Tuition discounts for lessons and instrument hire are available for low-income families, and a separate scheme for Looked After Children
Tuition discounts are currently available for online 1-to-1 music lessons and online Community Music Centre lessons, instrument hire and music groups.
Essex Music Service (EMS) provides financial support to enable students from low-income families and/or disadvantaged backgrounds to access the following:
- Individual or small group instrumental and vocal tuition (in-school or online)
- Instrument hire (covering a range of orchestral and electric instruments)
- EMS-run Community Music Centres (currently online)
- EMS-run County Music Groups (currently online)
Discounts for low-income families
Essex Music Service can provide financial support towards the cost of individual or small group tuition:
- in Essex schools
- Discount applied to fees is based on 66% cost of 1 x 15 min lesson per child per week only (10 sessions per term), or
- 50% cost of Band-It! small group Rock and Pop tuition
- Tuition must be provided by tutors contracted through EMS
- during evenings or Saturday mornings at EMS-run Community Music Centres
- Discount applied to fees is based on 66% cost of 1 x Community Music Centre lesson package:
- these typically include theory and aural classes, ensembles and choirs as well as individual instrumental and vocal tuition.
- reduced termly rental rates for instrument hire
- instrument hire scheme deposits and delivery charges are not discounted
- and a bursary for membership of County Music Groups
- for membership of County Music Groups including attendance at workshops, courses and tours.
Discount rates applicable with effect from 1 September 2021:
- 66% reduction on in-school tuition fees
- 66% reduction on fees at Community Music Centres (1 x package only)
- 50% reduction on instrument hire scheme termly rental fees
- 66% reduction on fees for County Music Groups workshops, courses and tours
- 50% reduction for Band-It! small group Rock and Pop tuition fees
Paperwork needed for a successful application:
Financial support is awarded annually, covering each academic year (September to August) via an online application process, including the submission of appropriate documentation (subject to approval from EMS), for parents/guardians in receipt of any of the following benefits (HMRC must have assessed your annual household income at £22,000 or less), or if not claiming benefits can provide alternative evidence of household income not exceeding £22,000 per annum:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Working/Child Tax Credit – providing that you receive more than the basic £545.34 per annum (excluding any childcare element)
- Universal Credit
Applicants who receive other eligible benefits, e.g. State or Widow’s Pension or disability benefit, should also receive Child Tax Credit if they are responsible for caring for a child or children.
Please click below to read the full list of acceptable evidence to upload in support of your application – Tuition discount evidence list Sept 2021
Look After/Post-Looked After Children
Essex Music Service can provide Looked After Children and children subject to special arrangements with:
- free individual or small group (10 weeks x 15mins per week per child per term) tuition in Essex schools with a Music Service tutor; or
- free individual or small group (10 weeks x 15mins per week per child per term) tuition in one of our Essex Music Schools; or
- free Essex Music Service Community Music Centre lesson package, run out of school hours during evenings or Saturday mornings,
as well as
- free instrument hire (deposits are not discounted, but the delivery of the instrument to school would be free of charge)
- free membership of County Music Groups including attendance at workshops, courses and tours
This provision is generously funded by Essex Virtual School.
Financial support is awarded annually, covering each academic year (September to August) via an online application process, including the submission of our short application form (and subject to approval from EMS), for students in the following situations:
- Looked After Children (LAC).
- Children subject to a Special Guardianship Order (SGO).
- Children subject to a Child Arrangement Order (CAO).
- Children adopted from care.