Listen Imagine Compose!
Sound and Music are looking for their next cohort of secondary school teachers to join this unique, accredited CPD course.
Listen Imagine Compose supports teachers in developing their skills and confidence though research and training.
Listen Imagine Compose is a partnership project between Sound and Music, Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and Birmingham City University which investigates how composing is taught and learned in secondary schools and draws on the expertise of teachers and their pupils, composers, music education academics and arts organisations.
Run as Continuing Professional Development course (with optional accreditation to Master’s level) Listen Imagine Compose is designed to develop teacher’s skills and confidence in teaching composition.
They are now accepting applications from teachers who are interested in doing the course in the next academic year.
Find out more about the course, accreditation and costs here>>
The course in short
The CPD is designed to offer secondary music teachers the opportunity to develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, GCSE and A level students.
- The course can be delivered across the UK in partnership with local hosts;
- The course delivery team includes Professor Martin Fautley, Professor Pam Burnard, Gary Spruce and Dr. Jonathan Savage, supported by professional composers and musicians;
- The course can be accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters);
- Students can be a mix of those who do and do not wish to be accredited, subject to a minimum of 4 being accredited;
- The year-long programme comprises 6 x 3 hour sessions plus additional time spent undertaking action research in the classroom and reflection on professional practice.
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails;
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop existing schemes of work;
- Undertake Action Research;
- Are mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer;
- Work with professional composers;
- Network and learn from other secondary music teachers participating in the CPD